Saturday 21 January 2012

The Three Stages of Newborn Clothing

When I learnt that I was expecting a new bundle of joy, I wasn’t all that excited like most first time moms; however, once I got used to the idea of having a precious little one to share my life with, I went crazy with shopping and bought all the cute, cuddly newborn clothing that I could get my hands on.  However, when my mom saw the shopping that I had done, I quickly learnt the error of my ways and after learning that my little man was bigger than the average baby, I started wondering what I was going to do with all the little clothing that I had bought and then I began to shop wisely.  After going from store to store, I learnt that newborns and newborn clothing came in three stages.  These three stages are Preemie, the average newborn, who weighs roughly 7lbs and the really big ones, weighing in anywhere from 8 ½ to 11lbs, imagine pushing out an 11lbs baby but that is a store for another time.

While most newborn clothing is worn by children 0-3 months, if you shop and buy only 0-3 months clothing, you will find that you are doing a lot more spending than you had originally budgeted for.  So how do you really shop when you are buying clothing for your newborn?  It is simple, you shop for the three different stages of newborn some would say but what I recommend is that you buy a few pieces of 0-3 months clothing and leave the bulk of the shopping for after the baby is born.  Never buy premature clothing because it really makes no sense.  If your baby is premature, let them wear the newborn clothing just the same.  Yes, they may hang off a bit but in time, they will full them out and the good thing is that, they will last much longer.

When you are shopping for newborn clothing or kids clothing in general, remember the golden rule, never go cheap and never buy clothing that has dye in it because the dye will washout eventually and it will irritate some kids skin.  You will never know if it will cause a reaction to your child; therefore, it is better you never find out.

Why should you stay away from cheap clothing?

The major problem associated with putting your newborn baby in cheap clothing, other than the fact that they will be ruined within a few washes, is that the material that is used to make these clothing will affect your babies skin.  No matter how you wash them before your baby wears them, the cheap fabric that these clothes tend to be made from will irritate your new baby’s skin and sometimes cause rashes, and pumps to appear.  While I am not encouraging you to go and spend $200 on onesies, I am telling you to make an investment in the clothes that your children wear and go with brands that make quality clothes such as: Gerber, Granimals, and Carter’s.

The older your children get, the more you will want to spend less on clothing but do not cut on quality for quantity, shop wisely and you will see that you can invest a little into your kids clothing and still buy top brands and clothes that are of the best quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment